Translate

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Parable of the Fig Tree

Jesus was asked by His Disciples about the signs that would precede His Second Coming at the end of the church age.
One of the last prophetic signs was the sign of the fig tree.
Five times in the OT the tree was used as a symbol of Israel.
Judges 9 10 to 14 0 “Next, the trees said to the fig tree, ‘Come and be our king.’
1 kings 4 25
Jeremiah 24 1 4 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 5 “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians.[b] 6 My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. 7 I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.
Hosea 9 10 10 “When I found Israel,
it was like finding grapes in the desert;
when I saw your ancestors,
it was like seeing the early fruit on the fig tree.
But when they came to Baal Peor,
they consecrated themselves to that shameful idol
and became as vile as the thing they loved.
Micah 4 4